10 steps To Build Up Your Children For Leadership Position
What does your family background look like? What were you able to gain from your parent’s behavior, actions and legacy while growing up?
Did you even gain positive lessons from your parents? Have you been able to utilize all of the lessons you learnt from your mother (as a female child) or from your father (as a male child)?
Whether we like it or not, our upbringing will surely play a role in our desire to becoming a great leader and well-known individuals on earth.
This is why you are advised to play a key role helping your child become a great leader in the future.
Let me quickly put this across to you; you are the first role model your children will ever think of. So, you must be very careful with the things you do and say because they will surely replicate what they saw in you.
Your role as a mother to your children is more than cooking for them, taking them to school or making them look fine.
It entails preparing them for the future by teaching them how to behave in the public and among their peers.
It includes teaching them how they can improve their human-to-human interaction and how to live peaceably with everyone.
You are mandated to teach them the ways of the lord, advise them on a daily basis and let them know that there’s no profit in living a fake life.
Your role as a father to your children exceeds paying their school fees, providing all the necessary materials and watching movies with them.
You are to help them realize that there are challenges ahead because the earlier they know this the better they prepare themselves for the unforeseen challenges.
You should help them create a strong esteem and value. Spend time with them by letting them know the reasons why it is important to speak that truth at all time.
But how can you carry out all of these assignments when you are used to beating your wives all the time even in front of your children?
How can you build future leaders when you are not submissive to your husband, don’t you know that action speaks louder than voice? What you do is what your children will learn.
Let me quickly put this across to you: “Until you practice what you teach, your children will continue to practice what you don’t teach them”
This means your children will continue to do what they learned from your action, even if it’s different from what you teach them.
Do you fall into the class of parents who have little or no time for their children? Then, you shouldn’t expect your children to be in the list of future leaders because you failed to plant in them the things required to make a great leader.
I’m not here to criticize you. I’m telling you that your actions and behavior will leave a mark on your children’s chances of being a leader — either positive or negative.
In case you don’t know the things you should do to help build leadership traits in your children, below is a clue for you:
1. Lead by Example
Being a good role model to your child isn’t only about words and advice, it’s more of your actions and the things you do. As much as no one is perfect, try all you can to be a great example to your kids.
2. Let your children know the target you set for yourself and endeavor to achieve all of them in a legal and open way. This will motivate your children to do the same when they grow up.
Don’t hesitate to help them whenever you see them struggling to accomplish their set targets — that’s how you earn their total trust and respect as their parent.
3. Support the things or career your children love. Don’t choose a career for your children in order to profit your personal and selfish interests.
4. Always seek your children’s opinions on things that concern them or things that might affect them in the future.
This doesn’t mean it is compulsory you agree to what they say, but the fact that they express their thoughts means you are helping them build a strong reasoning ability.
5. Give them task to achieve such as cooking new delicacy but don’t forget to reward them as soon as they achieve it.
6. Do not forget to build your children up spiritually because everything in life is being controlled in the spiritual world.
Teach them the world of the lord; help them create a suitable time when they will read the world of God. — Christians call it quiet time.
7. Reveal to them how you respond to life’s unfavorable situations. Let them know how you still put on a beautiful smile even when conditions are saying otherwise.
Let them know how you don’t let situations of life destroy your determination to succeed.
8. Let them know how to be patient, courageous and active in life just as they see in you. Teach them to know that nothing good comes in a rush and there is no shortcut to success.
9. Train them to be optimistic in every situation they found themselves. Positive thinking is a character of good and effective leaders as it makes them believe that everything is possible.
10. Encourage your children to make decision while you guide them on every decision they make. Help them believe that they are no man’s slave and they have the freedom to be good citizens and leader in the future.
Raising children who will become the leaders of tomorrow isn’t a child’s play. It takes dedication, determination, perseverance and prayers. Therefore, you are expected to give it all it takes to be a good role model to them.
Create time for them, listen to their opinions, advise them and develop top leadership traits in them.
Finally, let me say this to you: “The time and money you spend on your children is not a waste. See it as the price you must pay before you can get a prize”
Do you have any questions, addition or reservations? Feel free to paste them in comments box below.